About Me!

I'm a busy stay-at-home mommy of a 2 year old monst-- er toddler. This is a blog about stuff I like to cook, including recipes and pictures. <3

recent entries

Sweet, Creamy and... Green! Avocado Ice Cream!
OMG, Bibingka!
Sweetheart Lunch
Carne Asado with The Perfect Cornbread
Scotch Eggs... Another Way
Rice Pancakes
Strawberry Meringue Cookies
Phyllo Dough Rocks!
Useless and Useful Things
Indian Bread


Messages

Archives






















Squishy, Sweet-y, Cinnamon-y... and Er, Oats!
Sunday, February 1, 2009 | Time: 9:17 AM


Ok here's a weird thing I did today.
Cinnamon - Raisin - Oat roll Bread

After seeing a post at Big Red Kitchen involving the refrigerated bread dough technique, I decided to give the 'bread in 5 minutes a day' thing another shot. My last post about it was rather disappointing, as I was attempting to make sourdough style bread and kind of fudged it up in the end. Frustrated, I'd given up on bread for a while.
Now, I know Hubby is trying to eat less wheat (due to a skin condition), but I just cant help wanting to make bread. Got the Bread Fever!! Especially because I've decided to join the SCA, and what is more Medieval than a big, wonderful, fresh loaf of bread?!Mmm! Everybody drool with me now :)~
Anyways it was a toss up between The Fresh Loaf's Raisin Oat Bread or Cinnamon Rolls. So I, er, ended up doing both. Sort of. See, with the Raisin Oat Bread I would've had to mix the oats and things into the batter, which at this point isn't possible because the dough is already made. I suppose I could have kneaded the stuff into the bread but I didn't think it would turn out quite the same. Also, its breakfast time and cinnamon rolls are delicious!!
Oh and did I mention cinnamon rolls are delicious?
However, since I simply must do things my own style no matter what, I went ahead and added the oats in too. And I made it a 'roll' bread instead of cutting into little rolls. I thought it might be interesting, yknow. Something a little different?
Anyways its really simple if you already have the dough in the fridge.

Honestly, I usually eyeball this stuff. I tried to estimate the measurements for you though:

Ingredients:

Refrigerated Dough
1 4oz yogurt cup (individual serving size)
3-4 tablespoons butter
3-4 tablespoons cinnamon
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup nuts (walnuts, etc)
1/4 c pre-soaked raisins **
1/4 c oatmeal

** Put the raisins in a dish and cover with water. Let sit about 20 mins before adding to dough. This way, the raisins are more plump, and helps any you put on top for decoration not to burn while cooking.

How I did it:
Break off a big chunk of dough (from your 'fridge stash') about the size of a softball. Roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface to get long rectangle, around 1/4" thick. Spread with butter, yogurt (one of those 4oz individual yogurt cups is more than enough for this), cinnamon, brown sugar, raisins, nuts... whatever else you have on hand (ex: other dried fruit, chocolate chips, etc).
Roll dough up from the end into a log. Place in greased (or parchment lined) loaf pan. Let rise at lest 1 hour before baking 375 F oven for 30-35 minutes.
You generally know its done when it starts getting nice and golden on top and feels sort of hollow when you tap it.
Let cool before slicing. Serve with globs of butter :)

Easy. Only a few minutes actual 'work' to prepare it. Its pretty hands free, from there.
I suppose you could do this in a bread machine too, in the bake(?) cycle. I'm really liking my 'fridge dough' so far.




© all rights reserved | Stephanie of so-kawaii.co.nr | powered by: blogger