About Me!

I'm a busy stay-at-home mommy of a 2 year old monst-- er toddler. This is a blog about stuff I like to cook, including recipes and pictures. <3

recent entries

Rice Pancakes
Strawberry Meringue Cookies
Phyllo Dough Rocks!
Useless and Useful Things
Indian Bread
It was going to be Naan bread...
Curry!!!!!!!!!!!!
Photos, Bagels and Oatmeal
Lily Pads and Apple Sauce
Enchiladas from Scratch!


Messages

Archives






















Scotch Eggs... Another Way
Thursday, January 15, 2009 | Time: 8:00 AM


Scotch eggs are really cool. Its like a whole breakfast in one little delicious bundle. Or two, if you've got a big appetite! They're basically hard boiled eggs, wrapped in sausage, then breadcrumbs, and fried. Yum, right? Heart attack city, right?
Well, I discovered you can bake them, too. Apparently its just as good. Quite a bit healthier. Haven't tried it yet. Honestly, its because I don't have any bread crumbs.
But, today, I am inspired! I've been browsing through this fantastic bento site by a real Japanese lady who really knows what she's doing (Jealous! Wish she was MY mom, right?) and I noticed one of the pictures (the site is in Japanese, so I just window shop) had Scotch eggs but it looked as if she wrapped them in prosciutto!! Brilliant!
I never buy prosciutto, but I decided to make my own version. I've got loads of turkey bacon (Sams has a big box of 3 whole packages for under $5! I've got two packages just chillin' in my freezer.) So this is a great way to use it up.
No need for a recipe, really.


Just take a hard boiled egg and two pieces of turkey bacon... Wrap the egg long ways with one piece of bacon, hold it secure with your finger while you wrap it horizontal-ways with another piece of bacon. Secure with a toothpick. Or in my case, I've got these handy metal skewers - reusable! (I like to use them to make stuffed chicken or pork chops, they hold up better and don't mind being cooked.)
Then bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 20-30 minutes until they're crispy on the outside, or however you like your bacon in the mornings.
These are wonderful in lunches, great cold or hot.

Labels: , , , ,





© all rights reserved | Stephanie of so-kawaii.co.nr | powered by: blogger