About Me!

I'm a busy stay-at-home mommy of a 2 year old monst-- er toddler. This is a blog about stuff I like to cook, including recipes and pictures. <3

recent entries

Blueberry Almond Yogurt Banana Bread
No-Flour Brownies
Baked Mac + Cheese
Almond Butter Dark Chocolate Banana Brownies!
Things that Look Nice
Stuffed Chicken!
Rice Omelet
Moffles!
Home-style Tacos and Enchiladas!
Sweet Potato Pie Cupcakes


Messages

Archives






















Jelly-Roll Sponge Cake and Mochi Experiments!
Sunday, August 2, 2009 | Time: 7:29 AM


Been a while since I posted. I've moved to a new city and a big new house, hurray!
Yesterday I made a beautiful Jelly-Roll style cake. My first one ever! Yay for me! And it turned out beautifully. And it was actually really easy.
I always read all these horror stories about people making roll cakes and having them crack all over the place. Maybe its because I used a sponge-style cake? But everything worked out perfectly.
Actually I'm not really a fan of sponge cake because its kind of 'eggy'. Its just me and my weird aversion to eggs, everyone else thought it was delicious. I will probably make this again with some other kind of cake though.
The great thing is, you could put tons of different things in this cake. Could be savory or sweet, I guess (minus the sugar in the cake, for example, for savory?). I wanted to make mine an ice cream cake, but I found out someone had eaten most of the strawberry ice cream *sigh. There was about 1/3 of a pint or so left so I mixed it with about 1/3 block of cream cheese and also added some caramel sauce. Mmm, sugar! It was really good, though I think it would've been better with lots more ice cream. Probably a whole pint for this cake.
Anyway here is the recipe I used...

Sponge Roll Cake
from About.com

Ingredients:
  • 5 egg yolks
  • 2/3 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 teaspoon lemon juice
  • 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
  • 5 egg whites
  • 2/3 cup cake flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 3 tablespoons melted butter
Beat egg yolks until thicken and lemon colored; gradually add 1/3 cup of the granulated sugar, the lemon juice and the lemon zest. Beat egg whites until almost stiff then gradually beat in the remaining 1/3 cup sugar. Beat until stiff peaks form. Fold yolk mixture into whites. Sift dry ingredients into a separate container; add to egg mixture, folding in carefully. Fold in melted butter. Pour batter into waxed paper-lined 10x15x1-inch jelly roll pan. Bake at 375° for 12 minutes. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar. Turn onto a clean kitchen towel which has been generously dusted with confectioners' sugar. Trim edges, if necessary; roll cake up, towel and all, while still warm. Let cool completely. Unroll and fill with whipped cream or ice cream then re-roll cake. ((If using ice cream, be sure to keep it in the freezer; wrap it in some aluminum foil))

Tip: Spraying the pan before putting the wax paper on was a good idea because it allowed the paper to adhere properly to the pan before I poured in the batter. Otherwise it might have been a mess, trying to hold down the paper and put the batter in.. I will use this trick whenever I use parchment or wax paper from now on :)

Mochi Experiments!!!

This morning I've done some experiments with mochi, that beloved Japanese sweet made from rice flour. Check out my post All About Mochi if you'd like.
Anyway my mom brought home these little ramekins yesterday and I was just dying to use them. I'm a sucker for tiny foods! (thus my obsession with Japan..?)
While organizing my pantry this morning I came across a bag of rice flour that I guess I've had for a while XD And I thought to meself, how cute would it be to make little individual mochis in ramekins???!!
So I looked up some mochi recipes.. and I cut this one into 1/3. It makes about 3 of these 8oz(?) type ramekins, or I guess a small baking dish's worth.
Here is the recipe I used:

Wee Mochis
adapted from Zakka Life

1/2 c mochiko (or rice flour)
2 tbsp sugar
1/2 c water
(I added 2 tbsp cocoa powder for flavor and a wee pinch of salt)

Mix everything together, pour in the wee ramekins. Cook in microwave on high...
But here is where the experiment comes in:
For Rice Crispy style - cook the whole thing for 3 min straight. It will be totaly crispy in the middle and chewwy on the outside. I'm sorry yall if I'm just horririzng the whole mochi idea but.. these are cool!!!! I'd eat these every day. Americans tend to find mochi kind of weird because its so chewwy, so well, being American, I could eat these every day. (did I say that already?)
For mochi style - cook 1.5 minutes in microwave, till firm all the way through when you poke it. Dust with potato starch or (I use) corn starch. Or sesame seeds, or whatever you want while they're sticky. Careful, its HOT!






© all rights reserved | Stephanie of so-kawaii.co.nr | powered by: blogger