About Me!

I'm a busy stay-at-home mommy of a 2 year old monst-- er toddler. This is a blog about stuff I like to cook, including recipes and pictures. <3

recent entries

Chocolate Pudding Brownies
Coconut Fish and Sweet Potato Noodles
Toddler Snacks - Meatballs
Jelly-Roll Sponge Cake and Mochi Experiments!
Blueberry Almond Yogurt Banana Bread
No-Flour Brownies
Baked Mac + Cheese
Almond Butter Dark Chocolate Banana Brownies!
Things that Look Nice
Stuffed Chicken!


Messages

Archives






















Curry and Chai
Monday, September 21, 2009 | Time: 11:01 AM



I've had these packets of Tazo Chai tea sitting around for ages. Sorry, Im not usually a tea person. I'm a coffee person. Well, honestly, I'm the type who likes their coffee drowned in sugar and cream. Frappuccinos? OK! Black coffee? Eww. Tea? Good every so often, but not enough cream and sugar.
I get this hankering for hot tea every so often, so I like to go out and get some 'fancy' tea. Usually, I just end up drinking one cup and having a whole box or jar of tea bags sitting around my house for a year or two 'till I get sick of them and throw them out. Which I then regret, because by that time, I want another cup of tea. I guess that means I'm very American XD

Anyways, I came across this banana bread recipe whilst looking for interesting things to do with bananas. Since I hate to waste things, it makes me feel better that I get to use up some of my tea stash.
In most recipes like this, you'd put in 1/2 c of cream cheese. I used coconut milk instead. Hey, its creamy and sweet, so it works! Not to mention the subtle aromatic chai goes oh so well with the creamy coconut flavor.

Banana Chai Bread
adapted from Allrecipes.com

1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup white sugar
1/2 cup coconut milk
2 eggs
3/4 cup mashed bananas
1/4 cup brewed chai tea

In a medium bowl mix together flour, baking powder, and salt.
In a separate bowl mix sugar, cream cheese, and eggs until light and fluffy. Mix mashed bananas and Chai into cream cheese mixture. Add flour mixture and mix until smooth.
Pour mixture into a greased 9x5 inch loaf pan.
Bake in a preheated 350 degree F(175 degrees C) oven for 60 minutes. Cool on rack. Remove from pan after 10 minutes.

I'd also like to try making the Chai Latte Cupcakes from Salute to Sanity. They look scrumptious, so if anyone else does first, let me know, kay? :)



Instead of curry spices, I'm using chai and a little ginger and garlic. These spicy flavors mixed with coconut milk are the perfect sweet, creamy deliciousness with a kick. This is one of those dishes that is better and better the next day.

Coconut Chai Curry

3 large red potatoes, cubed
3 chicken breasts, cubed
1/2 onion, roughly chopped
1 c strongly brewed chai
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 tsp fresh grated ginger
1 can coconut milk
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp sesame oil (or olive oil, canola oil, etc)
1 tsp red pepper
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp dried basil
1/2 cup frozen peas

Heat a large pot on medium-high heat with the oil. Saute the onion, garlic and ginger together until onion starts to soften. Then add potatoes and sort of 'pan-fry' them till they start to crisp around the edges. Add the chicken and cook until it turns white on the outside.
Then add the sugar and chai tea and cook for about 5-10 minutes to soak the flavors in. The potatoes tend to soak up the tea nicely.
Pour in the coconut milk, peppers and basil.
Cook over medium heat about 35-45 minutes, adding the peas after at least 30 minutes as they just need to be heated through.
(For a stronger 'chai' flavor, put the tea bag in while you heat it)
Serve over rice.

Tip: Peel fresh ginger and then keep it in a bag in the freezer. Easy to grate when frozen and it keeps forever!




© all rights reserved | Stephanie of so-kawaii.co.nr | powered by: blogger